Archives

  • Logo banner
  • JCNA Reading Room
  • lady liz sunsetpaint
  • cathedral and ship
  • StanleySights 09008
  • hill cove

 

Introduction

James Street was probably named after Sir James Clark ROSS, the commander of HMS Erebus, part of the British Antarctic Expedition 1839 to 1843, and who called into the Falkland Islands in 1842.  He recommended Port William and its inner harbour as being the most advantageous anchorage for shipping.  Quite a number of the first buildings on this street were originally built of stone.  The plots to the north of James Street were originally fronted to the north by Ross Road East and backed to the south to what became James Street.  The original plots to the south of James Street ran to, and were fronted by, what is now Fitzroy Road East.  James Street was officially formed in 1889.

Hebe Street was named after the Brig Hebe, which arrived in the Falkland Islands in January 1842 with Lieutenant MOODY and his party of Sappers and Miners on board, and was formed in 1888.  It was known colloquially for a while as Wang’s Hill after the WANG family who lived in 3 Hebe Street.

Snake Hill was a descriptive name due to the winding nature of the road and first applied during World War II when the Snake Hill Military Camp was based to the north of what is now Kent Road.   

James Street showing houses north side 15 June 1925  

These files are not a complete representation of buildings past and present on these streets and are not necessarily a complete history but are intended to give a timeline for some of those that have been researched to date and will be added to from time to time.

 

James Street

pdf2 and 4 James Street.pdf683.21 KB

pdf6 James Street.pdf585.18 KB

pdf10 James Street.pdf816.97 KB

pdf18 James Street.pdf2.6 MB

Hebe Street

pdf3 Hebe Street Stoney Cottage.pdf622.58 KB

 

Disclaimer

While every effort has been taken to ensure accuracy the Jane Cameron National Archives does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in these records.

Copyright guide

Copies of government records may be used freely for private research and educational purposes.  If material is to be used for commercial publication, exhibition or broadcast the written permission of the Jane Cameron National Archives must first be obtained. Whenever material from the Jane Cameron National Archives is reproduced in any form or in any medium, the user must acknowledge the Jane Cameron National Archives as the source and give all document references.  For non-government records it is your responsibility as the user to ensure that copyright is not inf ringed and any infringement that does occur is your responsibility.